The roots of ALTANA AG go back to the year 1873, when Dr. Heinrich Byk began producing chemicals. In 1941 Dr. Günther Quandt acquired the majority of shares in the subsequent. BYK-Chemie. From 1977 the company became part of the newly formed ALTANA AG.
Today ALTANA Group is organized in four divisions:
- BYK Additives & Instruments,
- ECKART Effect Pigments,
- ELANTAS Electrical Insulation and
- ACTEGA Coatings & Sealants
and is globally represented in the area of specialty chemicals with around 48 production sites.